Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Celtic Wedding

Celtic Wedding

Celtic font and picture by AON Celtic Art.
Being exposed to all types of violin music for a long period of time, I came to enjoy Celtic music.  You might hear some of that type when you watch Titanic or Braveheart.  The Irish aren't afraid to show the sad side of life, and it is reflected in the music.  If you haven't seen Braveheart, snuggle up with someone you love, and watch it one of these last cold days.

I have seen the Ashoken Farewell used in a wedding for the entrance of the mothers and grandmothers, symbolizing the woman's leaving her home to join her husband.  These are the lyrics, though I have only heard it played instrumentally.  It's really quite beautiful.



Words by Grian MacGregor
Music by Jay Ungar
The sun is sinking low in the sky above Ashokan.
The pines and the willows know soon we will part.
There's a whisper in the wind of promises unspoken,
And a love that will always remain in my heart.

My thoughts will return to the sound of your laughter,
The magic of moving as one,
And a time we'll remember long ever after
The moonlight and music and dancing are done.

Will we climb the hills once more?
Will we walk the woods together?
Will I feel you holding me close once again?
Will every song we've sung stay with us forever?
Will you dance in my dreams or my arms until then?

Under the moon the mountains lie sleeping
Over the lake the stars shine.
They wonder if you and I will be keeping
The magic and music, or leave them behind.


If you're Irish, I'd love to plan an Irish wedding for you. 

Happy St. Patrick's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment