Thursday, January 27, 2011

Weddings on the Big Screen

This month has been so cold and snowy, and between year-end closing and movie season (Oscar nominations came out Tuesday), I have neglected the wedding blog.  Sorry.  I was trying to think of a way to incorporate my love of all things wedding and my love of movies.

The first movie wedding I remember is The Godfather, now out in Blu-Ray.  Nothing was too good for Vito Corleone’s daughter.  The cake was a favor called in, and it was fabulous.  There was a very erotic scene (for 1972) between Sonny and one of the bridesmaids.  Then when Michael had to move to Italy to avoid jail, he married a local girl.  The parade of the wedding party through the village sticks with me, still.  See, my love of weddings isn’t recent.

The wedding in Braveheart was beautiful, but sad for the fact that it had to be secret.  Lots of people want to incorporate something Celtic in their weddings.  There are many ways to do that, even if you don’t want a bagpipe player.

My favorite wedding movie is Father of the Bride.  I absolutely love Franck , played by Martin Short.  All the furniture must go, bring in the geese.  Poor Steve Martin, wanted so much for his daughter to have a nice wedding without causing his bankruptcy.

I also loved My Best Friend’s Wedding.  My favorite scene in that movie is the bridesmaid’s luncheon when they sing, “I Say a Little Prayer for You.”

I loved Steel Magnolias.  It was so pink.  One of my cousins, Sarah, had an all pink wedding, which was one of the most beautiful I remember.  She even had middle-school aged pink-clad girls handing out rice bags.  The scene I loved most in the movie was when Julia Roberts was talking about going skinny dipping with her fiancĂ© just before the wedding, and doing things that “would scare fish.”

My Big Fat Greek Wedding was also fun.  Everyone has certain traditions relative to family or religion, and the more they are incorporated in the wedding, the more special it will be for everyone.

On these cold days, buy or rent one of these movies and enjoy the pageantry.  It will be spring in two months, and we can truly be in wedding season again!

No comments:

Post a Comment